Wednesday, March 17, 2010

On Your Mark, Get Set, Go...

207 days
30 minutes

As I was running today my mind seemed to be leaving me in the dust. My thoughts were all over the place. From anxiety that on Monday, March 15th, I registered for the 2010 Chicago Marathon, to how I need to let an ex co-worker know I hope the best for her and her newborn. Lots of reflection and evaluating as I huffed and puffed. I was really focusing on the trail of mental bread crumbs I was leaving in my head so I would remember these thoughts long after my run. That is when I came up with the idea to keep a running journal. A place where I can reflect on my runs from day to day and chronicle what I know will be one of the hardest challenges I have ever accepted.

I have been running somewhat consistently for the past two years, but overall, my running career has been far from consistent. I trained for a marathon once. I made it up to 18 miles. And then one day for some reason I just stopped. I didn't put on my running shoes for over a year after that.

I do not always finish what I start, say what I mean, or lead by example. I will be 30 when I run this race and I pray that through this experience I will prove to myself I have learned from my past.

Katy Trail was perfect today. My run was hard. I am paying the price for hibernating all winter. But even as the grandma passed me today as I was trying so hard to not puke all over her squeaky clean, orthopedic Nike's, I felt accomplished. I did it. And hopefully this hard work will not take long to show in my runs or my waist.

As I was leaving the Trail I ran into J.D and Susan...it must have been at least 4 years since I have seen them. The calm, positive, warmth that both of them seem to exude is infectious. It was the best way to end my run. We talked for a few minutes and as I walked away I thought "could it be possible for a hyper/selfish only child such as myself to posses the gentleness and love that draws people closer like the J.D. and Susans of the world?"

I don't know the answer, but I think I want to try...

Three Songs That Made My Run More Reale:
"Sober" Kelly Clarkson
"Love Lockdown" Kanye West
"The National Anthem" Jennifer Hudson

3 comments:

  1. Love this! You are talented and I can't wait to read this through the training! Maybe you'll motivate me? But I haaaaate running...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i cannot tell you how happy i am that you're a blogger. my best thinking is always when i'm working out, but a marathon sounds INSANE!! i'm cheering ya on!

    -Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Ladies...here goes nothing!

    ReplyDelete